The Healthy House Art Gallery explores the intersection of healing the urban environment and strengthening the holistic health of urban residents through music, visual art, movement-based creative expression and expressive writing. The Healthy House has open hours for the public on Fridays, 1-3pm.
UPCOMING EXHIBITION: Louisville Photo Biennial CONTEST “Wounding the Earth/Wounding Ourselves, Healing the Earth/Healing Ourselves: Portraits of Humanity and Nature
DATES: September 22-November 11, 2017
CALL FOR ART: Click HERE
PRESS RELEASE: Click HERE
PAST EXHIBITION: New Beginnings
DATES: March 24-June 9, 2017
CATALOG: Click HERE
Click HERE to view and purchase artwork from our latest exhibition! (Membership discounts cannot be applied.)
At the Healthy House Art Gallery, we believe:
– Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being rather than merely the absence of disease or infirmity;
– Exposure to and experience with urban nature educates, inspires and motivates people of all ages and often evokes our instinct toward creative expression; and
– Creative expression is healing; it mends emotional injuries, increases understanding of self and others, develops capacities for self-reflection, increases overall health and alters behaviors and thinking patterns.
In 2017, the Healthy House Art Gallery offers four programs with a focus on the relationship between people, nature and the urban environment:
1. Quarterly visual art shows: with an emphasis on themes directly relating to urban environment, the Healthy House Art Gallery issues quarterly public calls for art with intentional outreach to communities and populations within our city who are often under-represented in public art programs. We curate four well-publicized public visual arts shows each year, with an opening reception for each show and the chance for artists to sell their work directly to the public through our Healthy House community center at 1641 Portland Avenue.
2. Arts workshops: throughout the year, we partner with existing organizations and individual artists to sponsor arts workshops with program material directly relating to urban environment and ecology. In keeping with our mission, access to these workshops is open to all; when workshop or materials fees are charged, we offer sliding scale payments and/or scholarships to these workshops.
3. Arts events: throughout the year, we offer special performances and/or talks by writers, dancers and musicians whose work deals with issues of environment, ecology and/or urban life. As with our workshops, we offer sliding scale payments and/or scholarships if event fees are charged.
4. Annual art journal: Our annual creative journal “EARTH (art & urban environmental healing)” offers a unique platform for Louisville Metro citizens to showcase their writing and visual art side-by- side with artists and writers from around the world who are also reflecting on issues of healing and restoring the urban environment.