JOB TITLE: Urban Forestry Assistant
HOURS: 20 Hours / week at $15/hour: mileage reimbursement (reliable transportation a requirement)
STATUS: Part-time, some scheduled evenings and weekends
REPORTS TO: Director of Urban Forestry
Louisville Grows is working to grow a just and sustainable community in Louisville, KY through urban agriculture, urban forestry, and environmental education. We are looking for someone to join our small team who is flexible, hardworking, and passionate about our mission.
The Urban Forestry Assistant provides assistance to the Director of Urban Forestry (DUF) to fulfill the goals of the Love Louisville Trees and Urban Orchard Stewardship Programs that will allow Louisville Grows to continue to grow and fulfill its mission. These responsibilities include communicating with residents and business owners about the planting and care of their trees, adhering to safety policies and procedures, record keeping, manual outdoor labor and orchard maintenance.
- Must possess a strong work ethic, positive attitude and work well within a team
- Must have strong communication skills and be an effective listener
- Must be able to take work direction and work well within a diverse work environment
- Must enjoy working outdoors and be willing to work in a variety of weather conditions
- Proactive and able to ask for help and offer help as needed- always looking for solutions
- Must be 18 years of age or older with a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record as determined by our insurance carrier
- Must have the ability to frequently climb, bend, stoop, twist and frequently lift 50 pounds
- Knowledge of social and food justice issues in Louisville
- Citizen Forester (LG Program: www.louisvillegrows.org/urban-forestry/forestry-training)
- Experience with manual labor and using tools safely
- Landscaping/Tree Maintenance
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Some knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google applications
- Receive openly all trainings including safety, equipment use, technique, etc. Follow the proper use of safety & personal protective equipment. Strictly adhere to Louisville Grows’ safety policies and procedures.
- Report on time to scheduled activities ready to work safely and productively. Accurately record hours worked on employee time sheet.
- Prepare tools and equipment for use and clean and store them upon completion of assignments. Report any damaged equipment or missing supplies to Director of Urban Forestry.
- Follow instruction from Director of Urban Forestry to accurately perform and manage tasks efficiently and in accordance with program standards.
- In conjunction with the Director of Urban Forestry, communicate professionally with neighborhood residents and community partners. Communicate concerns or questions to the Director of Urban Forestry immediately.
- Assist with entering data into spreadsheets
- Work with other staff, Citizen Foresters and other volunteers effectively
- Provide labor associated with tree delivery, staging and planting during two planting events each season. Other tasks will include mulching trees, driving a truck, staking trees, delivering supplies and inspecting trees.
- In the summer months this would include watering trees once a week
- Assist volunteers with regular tree pruning, disease and damage prevention, fruit production and harvesting, and property maintenance of approximately 200 fruit trees
- Other duties as Assigned
SUBMIT COVER LETTER AND RESUME BY: May 22, 2017
Application Procedure: Please send (email – preferred method) a cover letter and resume outlining demonstrable skill and past accomplishments to:
Attn: Natalie Reteneller
1641 Portland Avenue
Louisville, KY 40203
Louisville Grows is an Equal Opportunity Employer